16 June 2010

The Final Projects


















While I only mention it briefly here within my blog, most of my time is spent in the halls of the Architecture and Design Department. This spring I taught a "vertical studio" of 3rd and 4th year students with Carla. The project was a complex one asking the students to rethink their dilapidated infrastructure by hybridizing it with the financial success of the tourism boom. Their work throughout the semester was a struggle, to think about the systems operating, the limitations, the social and economic issues and, finally, their dedication in actually representing their ideas visually.

I get asked a lot what I think of the students here - especially compared to those in the states. Its a hard question, seeing that I am a young instructor and that only being here one year doesn't make me an expert. But I have had the opportunity to work with 2nd - 5th year students and, with living here, I can make a couple of quick observations. The students are creative, their ideas, visions match those of any department I have been in, seen or read about. But (and I wonder if this is a global crisis) their dedication to the work, their passion for the completion of a project is lacking. I wonder if the adoption of the laptop as the tool for design has limited the students to ground themselves in a project with their colleagues in a studio environment. While provided a spacious environment to work in (open 24 hours) they didn't make use of the facilities and the time they had to complete the project. They are strong designers, good talkers...only they lack the energy to produce good projects.

But you can see for yourself. Below are some links to the students work this semester. They are mix of projects ranging from urban farms/energy production to zoos and methane gas capture....to water catchment and recycling spas.

The Class Wiki
Site analysis
Their final projects

I have really enjoyed the students, the studios and the department. I think I learned more than they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment