25 June 2010

Goodbye Beirut



















Goodbye traffic and honking taxis, self prescribed driving rules and fancy cars.
Goodbye lottery ticket sellers, shoe shine boys and the random Syrian boys along the corniche
Goodbye Cafe Younis, Gloria Jeans, Auntie Selwas and Ferdinands. Later Hamra.
Goodbye Downtown and Solidare, Gemayze and Ashrefeih. Goodbye Beirut.

I will miss the call to prayer, the kak hawker and the three hour power outages.
I will miss AUB campus, the Corniche and the maze of streets in Hamra.
I will miss the Mediterranean the weather and the amazing fresh veggies and fruits.
I will, of course, miss my friends, my colleagues and the students (that didn't complain when it came to grades)

So Goodbye Middle East. Goodbye Levant. Goodbye my ancestral grounds. 

Thanks for the good times and the safety.
Thanks for the amazing people, friends and adventures.

Lets do it again sometime soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment